Gas fuelled engines
A gas fuelled engine is a type of gas system that supplies gas as a fuel to an engine. Other gas systems can be installed in a vehicle, trailer or boat, for example, a gas cooker or fridge in a caravan, mobile home, food van or boat.

Any installation or repair work on a gas system in a vehicle, trailer or boat must be undertaken by an authorised company or person.

On completion of a conversion/installation of a gas system, the installer must give you a vehicle/vessel inspection certificate. This certificate certifies that the installation complies with the relevant legislation and meets all safety requirements.

It is very important that you get this certificate and retain it for your records.

In addition, a gas system compliance plate needs to be fitted to all gas systems in vehicles, trailers and boats. This compliance plate certifies that the gas system is safe to use and complies with the relevant standards.

Inspection of commercial vehicles
Owners of commercial vehicles must get their gas system inspected and certified every 12 months.

Selling or buying an LPG vehicle
If you sell or buy a vehicle, trailer or boat that has a gas system, it needs to be inspected by an authorised gas installer and a vehicle/vessel inspection certificate issued. This inspection certificate is valid for 3 months from the date of issue, and needs to be presented to the Department of Transport and Main Roads when the registration is transferred.
Exemption from a vehicle/vessel inspection certificate
Owners who live in certain remote areas where there may be no authorised gas certifiers can apply for an exemption from producing the gas inspection certificate.

This applies to owners in the shires of Aurukun, Barcoo, Boulia, Bulloo, Burke, Carpentaria, Cook, Croydon, Diamantina, Doomadgee, Etheridge, Hope Vale, Injinoo, Kowanyama, Lockhart River, Mapoon, Mornington, Napranum, New Mapoon, Pormpuraaw, Quilpie, Torres, Umagico, Warroo and Wujal Wujal.

To apply, write to the Chief Inspector, Petroleum and Gas, PO Box 15216, City East Qld 4002.

Include the following information:

whether the exemption is related to the sale of the vehicle or the 12-month inspection requirement for commercial vehicles
your address and contact details
VIN number and registration number of vehicle, and whether registration is current
distance from your nearest major town.
We will respond to your application within 10 working days. If it is approved, you will be issued with a notice of exemption.

If selling the vehicle, you should tell the buyer that a certificate has not been issued and give them the notice of exemption. The new owner should provide the notice when registering the vehicle in lieu of the certificate. The notice is valid for 3 months.

Notices for commercial vehicles requiring a 12-monthly inspection are valid only for 12 months. You should retain the notice as evidence that no certificate is needed. Note: In these cases, it is strongly recommended that an inspection be undertaken as soon as it is possible to take the vehicle to a centre where there is an authorised certifier.

Sidek safety relief valves
Some Sidek brand PRX safety relief valves supplied between September 2001 and August 2005 do not operate correctly and could result in a dangerous situation.

The valve is located at the side of the tank and may be in a sub-compartment.

Check and replace sidek brand PRX safety relief valves

Faulty PRX safety relief valve

If you have one of these Sidek valves or if you cannot identify the valve, have an automotive LPG installer or gas cylinder test station (see Yellow Pages) check and replace the valve as soon as possible.


%d bloggers like this: